How to Connect to Shopify with the Private App Method
IN THIS GUIDE
There are two ways to connect the Shopify integration to Order Desk:
- As an admin on the Shopify account, you can use your login credentials either from Shopify or from Order Desk to make the connection.
- Use a private app API key and password provided by an admin on the Shopify account.
If you are not an admin on the Shopify account but need access to the orders from that store, you can connect using the private app method. This is ideal for fulfillment services who need to pull Shopify orders into Order Desk but don't have permissions on the Shopify account. This method allows the Shopify admin to provide access to their orders but not to their account.
If connecting with this method, an account admin on the Shopify store will need to follow the Getting Credentials from Shopify section and provide those credentials to you.
You will then need to connect following the Connecting to Shopify from Order Desk section below.
Getting Credentials from Shopify
First, you will need to create a private app in Shopify. To do this, go into Shopify and click on Apps:
Then scroll to the bottom of the page click Manage private apps:
On the next page, click the Create a new private app button:
Give your app a name and provide your contact email address.
Set the following Permissions to Read and Write (all of the first four listed in the Admin API section):
- Store content like articles, blogs, comments, pages, and redirects
- Customer details and customer groups
- Orders, transactions and fulfillments
- Products, variants and collections
Click Review disabled Admin API permissions to also enable permissions for:
- Locations (Read Access)
- Inventory (Read and Write Access)
- Fulfillment services (Read and Write Access)
- Draft orders (Read and Write Access)
All other permissions are optional and can be configured per your preferences.
Click Save to create the app, then get the API key and password from the Admin API section:
Connecting to Shopify from Order Desk
You can now connect to Shopify using the store name and the API key and password.
Back in Order Desk, navigate to the Shopify integration settings page where you can paste in the API key and Password, enter the store name, and click to connect:
You can now set up the integration following the steps in the Shopify Integration guide.